- The Admiralty
The Admiralteyskaya shipbuilding yard was found on the left bank of the Neva River in 1704, after it was made clear that Peter the Great wanted to create a Russian Navy. Army and fighting ships were built here and the Russian fleet started in this location as well. The Admiralty building was rebuilt more than once. The structure we see today is the third version of the original, which was constructed in 1806-1832 by the architect Zaharov. The Admiralty’s gilded weather-vane, 72.5 meters above the ground, in the form of ship, has become a symbol of St. Petersburg. The weather-vane is a reproduction of the original which now is on display in the Naval Museum. The original weather-vane weighs about 65kg and is covered by two kilograms of pure gold.
The spire of the Admiralty stands at the point that 3 of the main streets meet, Gorokhovaya, Nevsky and Voznesensky. Surrounding the building on the south and west facades are the Alexandrovsky Gardens. Nowadays the Admiralty is a naval college and still deals with many issues regarding the Russian Navy.