- Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts
The Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts has one of the most representative collection in Russia of foreign art dated from ancient times to modern days. Today, the exposition of the Museum includes a vast collection of tinted plaster casts of famous ancient, medieval and Renaissance sculptures and a collection of original works of foreign artists, sculptors and graphics together with objects of decorative arts.
The Museum was opened on May 31, 1912 as a Museum of Fine Arts and in 1937 was named in honour of Alexander Pushkin the great Russian poet.
The rooms of the ground floor present mainly the original works: works of art from Ancient Egypt, antiquities, European paintings from the VII-XVIII centuries; two halls — Italian and Greek courtyards are housing casts. On the first floor, there are rooms with casts of Ancient Greece, Rome, Middle Ages and Renaissance. The rooms of painting acquaint the public with the art of the XIXth and XXth centuries.
In the period from 1924 to 1930, a great number of paintings of Western European masters were given to the Museum from the nationalised Moscow estates, from the History Museum, Icon Museum, Kremlin Museums, Tretyakov Gallery. Several groups of paintings were received from the Hermitage and the Museum fund of Leningrad. As a result, a nucleus of the Picture Gallery of old Western Art has been formed at the Museum.