- The Piskariovsky Memorial Cemetery
The Piskarovskoe Cemetery is located in the northern part of St. Petersburg, out of what is considered the main city. It was founded in 1960 after a competition was held to find the best design for the memorial. The cemetery is for those who lost their lives, either due to starvation, cold, or in battle during the Siege of Leningrad. The cemetery is emotionally stirring and a vivid reminder of the tragic events that the city dwellers suffered.
In addition to the mass graves, the memorial statue and the eternal flame there is also a small pavilion which has photographs and documents from this terrible ordeal on display.
In front of the entrance to the cemetery there is a marble wall which says: “Here, from the 4th of September 1941 to the 22nd of January 1944 fell 107158 bombs, 148478 shells were lobbed, 16744 were killed, 33782 were wounded, 641803 people died from hunger.” Anyone who has any interest in WWII, or in the Siege of Leningrad will appreciate a visit to this powerfully peaceful cemetery.
A poem by Olga Bergoltz written on the monument:
Here lie the people of Leningrad.
Here lie the citizens – men, women and children.
Next to them lay the soldiers of the Red Army.
With their lives they protected
The cradle of revolution.
We cannot name all the names here,
There are too many under this granite wall,
But remember the one who stands nearby:
No one is forgotten and nothing is forgotten.