- The Ivan the Great Bell-Tower Complex
The Bell-Tower is the tallest structure in the Kremlin, and until the 20th century it was forbidden to build any building taller than it in the entire city! It was erected in 1505-1508, to serve all the cathedrals in the square that didn’t have their own belfry. A century later, another arcade for bells was added to the Bell-Tower so that its total height achieved 81 m.
In 1812, while retreating from Moscow, the Napoleon’s Army blew up the Ivan the Great Bell-Tower ensemble. However, the pillar of the bell-tower survived. The Belfry was restored to original dimensions in 1814-1815. At present, 24 bells of XVI-XVII centuries are located on the bell-tower and belfry.
The ground floor of the tower houses an exhibition hall of Moscow Kremlin Museums. It displays how the Kremlin has changed and developed since the 12th century. At the end of the tour, you can climb the 137 steps to the top of the tower, for a spectacular view of the city!