- The Kremlin
- Red Square
- Lenin's Mausoleum
- St. Basil's Cathedral
- Sparrow Hills
- Moscow State University (MGU)
- Novodevichy Convent and Cemetery
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior
Sparrow Hills (from 1935-1999 – Lenin Hills) is the name of a location in the south-west of Moscow, positioned on the high right bank of the Moscow River and covered in forest. It is located opposite Luzhnikov, one of the seven hills of Moscow. The hills stretch from the mouth of the River Setuna to the Andreev Bridge (on the small ring of the Moscow railroad). In the north, they are bordered by the Neskuchny garden.
The slope running to the river is marked by deep ravines and springs. The Sparrow Hills form a similarly named park, which includes three ponds and much forest.
The name of the hills is taken from the name of the village Borovyovo, which existed here in the middle ages. From 1648 to the eighteenth century, the Andreevsky men’s monastery operated at the foot of the northern part of the hills. From the end of the nineteenth century the hills were a popular location for country homes.
From 1949 to 1953, buildings of the Moscow State University were constructed on a plateau from which opens a grand view of Moscow. Now the lookout point is one of the favourite spots for Moscow residents, wedding parties, and members of various interest groups (motorcyclists, street racers, and so on).
A lit ski ramp and ski lift operate during certain times of the year. Mountain bike and auto competitions also take place there. In 1958 a metro bridge, joining Konsomolsky Prospect and the region of the university was constructed, and within it, the metro station Lenin Hills (now Sparrow Hills – Воробьёвы горы). The walk from the metro station to the lookout point is quite a walk! Be prepared for an uphill trek, but the views of both the city and the university are worth it!
Metro: Vorobevy Gory