Sergiev Posad was named in honour of Sergei, founder of the largest monastery in Russia. In 1919 the town was renamed Sergiev, but in 1930 it was changed again into Zagorsk, to honour the revolutionary Zagorsky. In 1991 the city’s historical name was returned.
In the late eighteenth century the town’s construction was based around the monastery, and further development was enabled by the opening of the railroad, in 1865, between Moscow and Sergiev Posad. Aside from icons and other monkish things, the most popular products of the town are toys. Not for nothing was the town named the ‘capital of amusement’. To buy toys at the monastery gate was to perform a holy act. Even Sergei himself carved toys for children.
These days the town is the largest administrative, industrial, cultural and tourist centers of the Moscow regions, and a pearl in the Golden Ring. The ideal location of the town on major transport routes help the development of town and region.