- The Patriarch’s Palace and the Twelve Apostles’ Church
The Patriarch’s Palace was built in 1653-1655 by Russian artisans for Patriarch Nikon. On the palace’s ground floor there were household services, the second floor housed living quarters of the Patriarch. The ceremonial chambers were located on the first floor. The main ceremonial room was the Cross (or Chrism) Chamber where the meetings of the Holy Council and tsar’s and ambassadorial feasts were held. In XVIII-XIX centuries, Moscow Synod Service was situated in the Patriarch’s Chambers.
Nowadays, the Patriarch’s Palace houses an exposition presenting specific features of the Russian culture XVII century. Masters of Russia, European and Eastern countries created the precious housewares, jewellery, tsars’ hunting equipment, ancient furniture and items of ecclesiastical embroidery presented here. The majority of items were made in national traditions by Russian masters of Moscow Kremlin Workshops and masters from Jaroslavl, Kostroma and other towns.