- The State Historical Museum
The State Historical Museum of Russia is a museum of Russian history wedged between Red Square and Manege Square in Moscow. Its exhibitions range from relics of the prehistoric tribes inhabiting present-day Russia, through priceless artworks acquired by members of the Romanov dynasty. The total number of objects in the museum's collection numbers in the millions.
The museum was founded in 1872 in the interest of the promotion of Russian history and national self-awareness. The museum was officially opened in 1894 by Tsar Alexander III. During the Soviet period the murals, that had originally decorated the interior, were proclaimed gaudy and plastered over. The museum went through a painstaking restoration of its original appearance between 1986 and 1997. The State Historical Museum
The collections of the Museum were gathered by scientists of all Russia and collectors. There are archaeological monuments of all ancient times, collections of coins, manuscripts, old books, pictures, Russian and West-European fighting and hunting weapons, forged wares, bronze and copper casting, scientific devices, glass and ceramic products, textiles, national clothes of all regions of Russia and other peoples and Russian estate furniture here.
Notable items include a longboat excavated from the banks of the Volga River, gold artefacts of the Scythians, birch-bark scrolls of Novgorod, manuscripts going back to the 6th century, Russian folk ceramics, and wooden objects. The museum's coin collection alone includes 1.7 million coins, making it the largest in Russia.