- State Armoury Chamber of the Moscow Kremlin
State Armoury Chamber of the Moscow Kremlin
The State Armoury Chamber of the Moscow Kremlin used to be a deposit of state treasury. The building is an architectural monument from the middle of the XIX century decorated with 58 marble bas-reliefs and portraits of Russian tsars and great princes. The collections of the Armoury Chamber include objects of decorative and applied art of Russia, Western Europe and the Orient.
The Armoury Chamber, a treasure house, is a part of the Grand Kremlin Palace’s complex. It is situated in the building constructed in 1851 by architect Konstantin Ton. The museum collections were based on the precious items that had been preserved for centuries in the tsars’ treasury and the Patriarch’s vestry. Some of the exhibits were made in the Kremlin’s workshops; others were accepted as ambassadorial gifts. The museum was named after one of the oldest Kremlin’s treasury stores.