St. Petersburg - Valaam - St. Petersburg (3 days and 2 nights)
This short cruise can be an excellent extension to any of our St.Petersburg tours. You will sail along the picturesque banks of Neva River and Ladoga Lake to reach Valaam - an important center of spiritual life for the Russian people and home to a large, remote monastery. The nature of Valaam is truly amazing and its atmosphere is very peaceful and relaxing.
St. Petersburg - departure at 20.00
At 18:00 (6:00 PM) embarkation will begin. Two hours later, at 20:00 (8:00 PM) the ship will sail from St. Petersburg and head towards Valaam. You will be served dinner shortly afterwards.
Try your best get up early on this day to enjoy some truly magnificent views while approaching Valaam!
Once you reach the island, you will have a walking tour of the sketes of Valaam, which will be followed by an excursion to the Central Manor of the Holy Transfiguration Monastery.
You can either walk to the Monastery (approx. 7 km) or you can take a hydrofoil ride (at extra fee, preorder is required)
Valaam is an archipelago of about 50 islands in Ladoga Lake. It is also the largest island in the area of Karelia, at one time belonging to Sweden. In the period of 1811-1917 the island belonged to the Grand Duchy of Findlay, a part of the Russian Empire. After the Russian Revolution in 1917, Finland received its independence. Valaam was one of the few holy places that was not destroyed and closed. After the war between the Soviet Union and Finland, Valaam was returned to the USSR. Valaam is famous for the Valaam Monastery as well as for numerous sketes. A skete is the place where monks live keeping much stricter rules than in monasteries. On Valaam, many monks who were searching for salvation through renunciation of the world, would move from monasteries to sketes, and later become hermits. By the beginning of the 20th century, there were 13 sketes and numerous hermitages with their churches and chapels throughout the islands.
rated 4.7 / 5 based on more than 90 reviews on TripAdvisor
Prices, per person
Rostropovich 5* vessel has more cabin categories than those listed on site. In the price table, you see the least expensive cabin for each deck.
Help me organize my Tour
The surcharge for single occupancy in a double cabin is 75% of the total amount for the cruise.
- Accommodations in all cabins, each with a private bathroom, individual temperature controls, and windows
- Three meals daily including dinner upon arrival and breakfast on the departure day
- Captain’s welcome cocktail reception
- Traditional bread and salt welcome ceremony
- Full sightseeing programs in each port
- On board entertainment including Russian language course, Russian song lessons, live music concerts, dancing music in bars nightly, Captain’s bridge tour, etc.
- English-speaking guides onboard; services of guides speaking other languages are available upon request
- Souvenir shop onboard
- Medical center onboard
- Discos and bars onboard
- Special holiday meals and celebrations
- Captain’s Farewell Dinner (special menu)
- Russian visa invitation - the document necessary for obtaining a Russian visa when applying for one at the local Russian Consulate in your country.
- Russian Visas. For US, UK and Canadian citizens, our company offers Full Visa Support. This is where you send us your passport and other documentation and we obtain the Russian visa for you. To learn more about this option, please visit the Full Visa Support page
- International airfare. However, we can offer you extremely inexpensive flights to Russia through our discount airfare booking engine. Please click here to learn more.
- Arrival and departure transfers. To see transfer prices please click here. You can order transfers by clicking “Add transfer” while submitting the order.
- Additional drinks and water in ship restaurant and drinks from the onboard bars
- Option tours
- Tips for the crew and ship staff
- Forwarding of baggage/souvenirs
- Accident, baggage and trip cancellation insurance (we recommend you purchase insurance).
- Items of a personal nature (laundry services, bar charges, beauty salon services, telephone and cable charges and medical services).
- Room service offered at an additional price.
- Water; you can order packages of water as extra for the following prices. Please contact your order manager for more information.
Please be informed that all pre/post cruise services (additional arr/dep transfers, hotel accommodations, additional excursions, etc.) can also arranged by us.
Conditions of payment: To book your cruise a 25% deposit is required in advance. The trip must be fully paid 41 days before departure.
Cancellation terms for river cruises:
41 or more days before departure – a fee equal to 10% of the entire package will be charged.
40-20 days before departure – a fee equal to 55% of the entire package will be charged.
19 days or less before departure or in the event of a no-show - a fee equal to 100% of the package will be charged.