Getting to and around St. Petersburg
- St. Petersburg public transport overview
- St. Petersburg metro
- St. Petersburg metro map
- Tips on riding the St. Petersburg Metro
- St. Petersburg buses
- St. Petersburg trolleybuses
- St. Petersburg trams
- St. Petersburg taxis and Gypsy cabs
- St. Petersburg marshrutki
- Interesting information about St. Petersburg's roads and public transport system
It’s not the hub Moscow is, but St. Petersburg is easy enough to reach. Click here to see our information on arriving in St. Petersburg, which you can do by plane, by train, by bus, by ship and, if you’re really looking for adventure, by car.
Remember that all foreigners require a visa to visit Russia, even if they are only here for a few days. Find out more about visas and how to get them here.
» Back to top
St. Petersburg has 2 main passenger airports in the southern part of the city - Pulkovo 1 and Pulkovo 2.
Pulkovo 1 handles mostly local flights and a few international ones to and from former Soviet Republics. All flights to Moscow originate here and are mostly run by Pulkovo Airlines with a few from Aeroflot. There isn't much in the way of shops there but there is a decent Irish bar in the Pulkovo Airline section of the terminal. The airport also has a foreign currency exchange booth and ATM machines.
Bus № 39
Route taxi: K-39
Information: (+7812) 104-3822
Business lounge: (+7812) 123-8545
Official Delegations Suite: (+7812) 123-8663
Pulkovo 2 is St. Petersburg's main International Airport. If you are flying directly to Russia from abroad, you will arrive here. The airport was newly renovated in 2003 and is not bad. There are also a few good bars and shops to spend your time in while waiting. The airport also has a foreign currency exchange booth and ATM machines
Transport from both airports to the city center is quite easy and takes anywhere from 25 minutes to 1 hour depending on traffic. We recommend that you don't use the local taxi drivers that wait outside both airports. They charge crazy prices, usually starting at $50 and ranging even higher. A better alternative is to prearrange pick up or take a mini bus taxi (called a Marshrutka) from the airport to Moskovsky Prospect metro station (only a 5 minute ride away). It will cost only 15 roubles and from Moskovsky metro you will be able to take the metro itself or grab a more reasonably-priced gypsy cab (probably costing only 150 - 200 roubles to the center).
Bus № 13
Route taxi: K-13
Metro: Sennaya Square
Route taxi: K-213
For information call: (+7812) 104-3444, 104-3457
Business lounge: (+7812) 104-343
» Back to top
- 2 airport complexes Pulkovo-2 and Pulkovo-1
- Location: 16 km southward to the downtown
- Total area of the airport: 1,479 ha
- The area of the freight complex of the airport is 6 ha
- 2 runways: 3,782 x 60 m, and 3,401 x 60 m
a system of main, connecting and auxiliary taxiways
3 passenger terminals
2 freight terminals
- The Pulkovo-1 airport is intended for servicing internal (Russian) routes and routes to and from the CIS countries. The total area of the terminal building is 40,640 m². The passenger capacity is 2,500 passengers per hour.
- The Pulkovo-2 airport is intended for servicing international flights. The total area of the terminal building is 19,740 m². The passenger capacity is 1,200 passengers per hour.