Moscow - St. Petersburg (8 Days and 7 Nights)
Travel along the beautiful Volga River as you make your way between Russia's largest and most fascinating cities: Moscow and St. Petersburg. Both these cities are rich in history, art, architecture and the food is pretty good too! By taking a river voyage, a ship can easily link these two great imperial cities of the czars. Moscow has a wonderful heritage of historic buildings and is known as the medieval and 20th century capital of Russia, while St. Petersburg is a dreamland of 18th century architecture and craftsmanship. Besides offering visits to sites of unique historical and architectural interest, these cruises afford a relaxing alternative to traveling by taking you along the Neva River, Lake Ladoga, the Svir River, Lake Onega, the Baltic canal, White Lake and the Volga River.
One of the highlights of your time in Moscow is a visit to Red Square and the Kremlin. You will also visit one of the Kremlin's famous cathedrals. The Kremlin as we know it today was rebuilt as a stone structure during the beginning of the 14th century but the actual site had been inhabited and used as a fortified city wall for centuries before this period. The Kremlin is truly a fascinating structure - at the same time it is an ancient tower, the cityВґs former military fortification, a palace and the workplace of the Russian President. The Kremlin is the center of RussiaВґs political life and State power and has been home to Tsars, General Secretaries of the Soviet Union and Russian Presidents. Red Square is within the KremlinВґs walls.
Moscow is Russia's political and financial capital as well as a major world class cultural center. The city includes many must see attractions from the Kremlin and Red Square to the Assumption Cathedral. Moscow is the largest city in Europe. It is unique in that it blends the ancient with the modern. See medieval structures among modern office buildings, walk down crooked old city streets opening up to wide busy boulevards. It is a fantastic city and truly a site that shouldn't be missed.
Uglich was founded in 1148 as a small princedom bordering on Muscovy, Uglich is one of the most beloved towns in Old Russia. The view of the town as you approach it from the Volga River is breathtaking with the Cathedral of the Resurrection and St. JohnВґs Church rising up on the horizon. The history of the town is fascinating; At the end of the 16th century, Maria Nagaya, seventh wife of Ivan the Terrible, lived in honorary exile at the Kremlin in Uglich. It was here in her garden that the 10 year old Prince Dmitry of the Rurik Dynasty, heir to the Russian throne was murdered by Boris Godunov who wanted to seize power for himself. On the spot of his death, the Church of St. Demitrius of the Blood was built and still stands today. The death of Prince Dmitri brought on the start of the Time of Troubles, a dynastic and political crises and one of the most tumultuous periods in Russian history which ended 15 years later after the election of a new Tsar Mikhail Romanov (the first Tsar of the Romanov Dynasty). Inside the Kremlin the oldest building in Uglich, the Palace of Tsarevich Dmitry also stands. During your time in Uglich you will learn more about the town's past and walk along the paths of Russian history.
Goritsy is a tiny settlement 7 kilometers from the St. Cyril on the White Lake Monastery. The remains of the Nunnery of the Resurrection that sits on the banks of the Sheksna River can be visited and is within a quarter of a mile of where the ship stops. Goritsy is definitely a site to see for anyone with an interest in Russian history. St. Cyril on the White Lake was founded in 1397 by Kirill Belosersky on the shore of Lake Siverskoye. The monastery had wide trade in the 15th to 17th centuries and was used as a fortress to protect Russia's nobility during the Times of Troubles.
After the tour you will return to your ship and set sail in the direction of St. Petersburg along the Volga Baltic Canal. The Volga Baltic Canal is a series of canals and rivers that connect the Volga river to the Baltic Sea.
Kizhi Island: Via the Volga Baltic Canal, our cruise takes us to the tiny island of Kizhi, located at the northern end of Lake Onega. The island is renowned for its open-air Museum of Architecture, which is assembled from over 80 monuments of wooden architecture from various areas of the country and restored to form a glimpse of the past. The most impressive site on the island is the Church of the Transfiguration or Preobrazhenskaya (the church of twenty-two wooden domes). This masterpiece of architecture, featuring five tiers of 22 domes, was built in 1714 without the use of a single nail, only an axe and pine trees. The church magically changes color as the day grows old, it is certainly one of the most interesting things you will see during your time in Russia.
Mandrogui is really more of a living museum than a live-in village. It features a collection of old wooden houses and is geared towards showing visitors what a traditional Russian village resembled in the past. One of the features here is the Vodka Museum, which contains thousands of different brands and types of Russia´s favorite pastime.
Prices, per person
Rostropovich 5* vessel has more cabin categories than those listed on site. In the price table, you see the least expensive cabin for each deck.
Help me organize my Tour
The surcharge for single occupancy in a double cabin is 75% of the total amount for the cruise.
- Accommodations in all cabins, each with a private bathroom, individual temperature controls, and windows
- Three meals daily including dinner upon arrival and breakfast on the departure day
- Captain’s welcome cocktail reception
- Traditional bread and salt welcome ceremony
- Full sightseeing programs in each port
- On board entertainment including Russian language course, Russian song lessons, live music concerts, dancing music in bars nightly, Captain’s bridge tour, etc.
- English-speaking guides onboard; services of guides speaking other languages are available upon request
- Souvenir shop onboard
- Medical center onboard
- Discos and bars onboard
- Special holiday meals and celebrations
- Captain’s Farewell Dinner (special menu)
- Russian visa invitation - the document necessary for obtaining a Russian visa when applying for one at the local Russian Consulate in your country.
- Russian Visas. For US, UK and Canadian citizens, our company offers Full Visa Support. This is where you send us your passport and other documentation and we obtain the Russian visa for you. To learn more about this option, please visit the Full Visa Support page
- International airfare. However, we can offer you extremely inexpensive flights to Russia through our discount airfare booking engine. Please click here to learn more.
- Arrival and departure transfers. To see transfer prices please click here. You can order transfers by clicking “Add transfer” while submitting the order.
- Additional drinks and water in ship restaurant and drinks from the onboard bars
- Option tours
- Tips for the crew and ship staff
- Forwarding of baggage/souvenirs
- Accident, baggage and trip cancellation insurance (we recommend you purchase insurance).
- Items of a personal nature (laundry services, bar charges, beauty salon services, telephone and cable charges and medical services).
- Room service offered at an additional price.
- Water; you can order packages of water as extra for the following prices. Please contact your order manager for more information.
Please be informed that all pre/post cruise services (additional arr/dep transfers, hotel accommodations, additional excursions, etc.) can also arranged by us.
Conditions of payment: To book your cruise a 25% deposit is required in advance. The trip must be fully paid 41 days before departure.
Cancellation terms for river cruises:
41 or more days before departure – a fee equal to 10% of the entire package will be charged.
40-20 days before departure – a fee equal to 55% of the entire package will be charged.
19 days or less before departure or in the event of a no-show - a fee equal to 100% of the package will be charged.