St. Petersburg - Valaam - Kizhi - Mandrogui - St. Petersburg (5 days and 4 nights)
This 5-day cruise will take you to the northern parts of Russia. Visit the Holy Trinity Monastery and admire splendid landscapes in Svirstroy. Feel the magical atmosphere of Kizhi with its wooden architecture that is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and take a walk along the streets of Petrozavodsk - the capital of Karelia.
St. Petersburg - departure at 19.00
At 16:00 (4:00 PM) embarkation will begin. Three hours later, at 19:00 (7:00 PM) the ship will sail from St. Petersburg and head towards Valaam. You will be served dinner shortly afterwards.
Try your best get up early on this day to enjoy some truly magnificent views while approaching Valaam!
On the island, you will have three sightseeing program options (you will have to choose one):
- Walking tour of the sketes of Valaam
- Excursion to the Central Manor of Holy Transfiguration Monastery
- Walking tour "Rocky Coast", during which you will get acquainted with the unique nature of Valaam and Ladoga Lake
Valaam is an archipelago of about 50 islands in Ladoga Lake. It is also the largest island in the area of Karelia, at one time belonging to Sweden. In the period of 1811-1917 the island belonged to the Grand Duchy of Findlay, a part of the Russian Empire. After the Russian Revolution in 1917, Finland received its independence. Valaam was one of the few holy places that was not destroyed and closed. After the war between the Soviet Union and Finland, Valaam was returned to the USSR. Valaam is famous for the Holy Transfiguration Monastery as well as for numerous sketes. A skete is the place where monks live keeping much stricter rules than in monasteries. On Valaam, many monks who were searching for salvation through renunciation of the world, would move from monasteries to sketes, and later become hermits. By the beginning of the 20th century, there were 13 sketes and numerous hermitages with their churches and chapels throughout the islands.
Cruise along Europe's second largest lake, Lake Onega and arrive on the island of Kizhi. Here you will visit a fascinating open air museum containing numerous examples of elaborate Russian, wooden architecture.
Kizhi Island is located at the northern end of Lake Onega. The island is renowned for its open-air Museum of Architecture, which is assembled from over 80 monuments of wooden architecture from various areas of the country and restored to form a glimpse of the past. The most impressive site on the island is the Church of the Transfiguration or Preobrazhenskaya (the church of twenty-two wooden domes). This masterpiece of architecture, featuring five tiers of 22 domes, was built in 1714 without the use of a single nail, only an axe and pine trees. The church magically changes color as the day grows old, it is certainly one of the most interesting things you will see during your time in Russia.
A stop in the village of Mandrogui. Enjoy walking around this traditional Russian village in its beautiful setting and spending a day of rest, relaxation and fun. We will have a fantastic barbeque picnic on the banks of the river featuring one of Russia's favorite specialties - shashlik (meat shish kebab prepared on an outdoor fire). You will love it!
Mandrogui is really more of a living museum than a live-in village. It features a collection of old wooden houses and is geared towards showing visitors what a traditional Russian village resembled in the past. One of the features here is the Vodka Museum, which contains thousands of different brands and types of Russia´s favorite pastime.
Prices, per person
Rostropovich 5* vessel has more cabin categories than those listed on site. In the price table, you see the least expensive cabin for each deck.
Help me organize my Tour
The surcharge for single occupancy in a double cabin is 75% of the total amount for the cruise.
- Accommodations in all cabins, each with a private bathroom, individual temperature controls, and windows
- Three meals daily including dinner upon arrival and breakfast on the departure day
- Captain’s welcome cocktail reception
- Traditional bread and salt welcome ceremony
- Full sightseeing programs in each port
- On board entertainment including Russian language course, Russian song lessons, live music concerts, dancing music in bars nightly, Captain’s bridge tour, etc.
- English-speaking guides onboard; services of guides speaking other languages are available upon request
- Souvenir shop onboard
- Medical center onboard
- Discos and bars onboard
- Special holiday meals and celebrations
- Captain’s Farewell Dinner (special menu)
- Russian visa invitation - the document necessary for obtaining a Russian visa when applying for one at the local Russian Consulate in your country.
- Russian Visas. For US, UK and Canadian citizens, our company offers Full Visa Support. This is where you send us your passport and other documentation and we obtain the Russian visa for you. To learn more about this option, please visit the Full Visa Support page
- International airfare. However, we can offer you extremely inexpensive flights to Russia through our discount airfare booking engine. Please click here to learn more.
- Arrival and departure transfers. To see transfer prices please click here. You can order transfers by clicking “Add transfer” while submitting the order.
- Additional drinks and water in ship restaurant and drinks from the onboard bars
- Option tours
- Tips for the crew and ship staff
- Forwarding of baggage/souvenirs
- Accident, baggage and trip cancellation insurance (we recommend you purchase insurance).
- Items of a personal nature (laundry services, bar charges, beauty salon services, telephone and cable charges and medical services).
- Room service offered at an additional price.
- Water; you can order packages of water as extra for the following prices. Please contact your order manager for more information.
Please be informed that all pre/post cruise services (additional arr/dep transfers, hotel accommodations, additional excursions, etc.) can also arranged by us.
Conditions of payment: To book your cruise a 25% deposit is required in advance. The trip must be fully paid 41 days before departure.
Cancellation terms for river cruises:
41 or more days before departure – a fee equal to 10% of the entire package will be charged.
40-20 days before departure – a fee equal to 55% of the entire package will be charged.
19 days or less before departure or in the event of a no-show - a fee equal to 100% of the package will be charged.