The Cinema Museum
- State Armoury Chamber
- The Patriarch's Palace
- The Annunciation Cathedral
- The Ivan the Great Bell-Tower Complex
- The Assumption Cathedral
- The Archangel's Cathedral
- The Church of Laying Our Lady's Holy Robe
- The History of Moscow Museum
- Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts
- The Pushkin Memorial Museum
- The Cinema Museum
- Orlov Paleontology Museum
- The State Historical Museum
- The State Darwin Museum
- The State Tretyakov Gallery
- State Polytechnical Museum
The Cinema Museum collects, describes, restores and preserves documents and materials on the history of Russian and Soviet cinema. The Cinema Museum has four film screening facilities and regularly shows Russian and foreign classical movies, retrospective and topical film series giving the idea of the best achievements by the cinema culture of the past and the present.
The Museum has film clubs specializing in various topics, types of movies (animation, non-fiction films, movie operas) and the world’s different countries (France, Germany, Hungary, India, etc.)
Although the Musei kino (the "Cinema Museum") is one of Russia's newest museums, its history dates back almost 100 years. Between 1910 and 1919, the most progressive people in the field of cinema suggested that the creations of film ought to be preserved. At the end of the 1920s, a cinema museum was created under the auspices of the State Academy of Artistic Sciences ("GAKhN"). In 1932, GAKhN was disbanded and the priceless materials that had been collected (the first cinema cameras, scripts, sketches and posters) were partly dispersed amongst various archives, and partly disappeared.
In 1947, following a petition by Sergei Eisenstein, a cinema history section was set up within the Institute of the History of the Arts which was part of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR.
In the 1960s, the Administration of the Union of Cinematographers of the USSR organised a museum commission. The Union of Cinematographers began the construction of the Kinotsentr (the "Cinema Centre") on Krasnopresnenskaia where a cinema museum was to be located. The construction work was delayed for many years, the building project was halted many times but a cinema museum always remained part of the project.
The Main Hall of the Cinema Centre opened with a screening of Chaplin’s ‘Great Dictator’ on 31st March 1989.
Archive premises, exhibition halls and a number of cinemas (in which screenings began to take place of Russian and world cinema selected according to museum principles) were housed in the completed building on Krasnopresnaia.
The three main areas of the Cinema Museum's work are the collection, systemisation and description of documents and materials relating to the history of cinema culture. The organisation of archive, thematic and personal exhibitions connected with cinematography. And, the systematic screening in its cinemas of films which have become recognised masterpieces of Russian and world cinema or which have become notable events in the continuing evolution of cinema.
15, Druzhinnikovskaya ul.